Health and Safety
Student safety and care is central to the FSC service. Our long experience has given us the opportunity to establish effective policies in all areas where sensible care and attention is required and these policies are reviewed continuously by the FSC Health and Safety Committee.
The FSC's teaching staff are trained in first aid, in group management and where appropriate, mountain leadership. A qualified first aider is available at the Centres at all times of the day and the night: all teaching staff carry dedicated field first aid equipment. All our field sites have been carefully surveyed and a written record made of potential hazards. We give great attention to hygiene and fire regulations.
You can read further Safety Information on the Pre Course Information for Parents and Guardians page. School group leaders should also read our Agreement for School Group Leaders.
The FSC Safety and Care Charter: Our Promise to You
All FSC Centres will have:
- Risk assessed field sites, activities and buildings
- 24 hour duty system with on site staff and 'on call' back up (for Day Centres this system extends for the times students are at the Centre)
- Restricted access external doors, including keypad locks
- Regular head counts both during fieldwork and in the Centre
- Nominated first aiders are available 24 hours a day
- Robust personnel systems for the appointment, induction and monitoring of staff, including checking of all appropriate qualifications, references and criminal records
- Identifiable staff wearing FSC name badges
- Comprehensive induction and training for health and safety issues
- Public liability insurance cover for your peace of mind. A certificate from our brokers confirming details of our cover is available from any of our Centres, or view or download it online.
- Safe vehicles meeting current requirements, such as passenger seat belts and head restraints
In addition the FSC has in place:
- A programme of Health and Safety training courses
- A Health and Safety auditing procedure
- A Health, Safety and Hygiene committee reporting to the FSC's Executive Committee
Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge
All of our Centres have been awarded the Quality Badge by The Council for Learning Outside the Classroom. Each Centre achieved the badge by demonstrating that they consistently deliver high quality teaching and learning experiences and manage risk effectively. This means that you do not have to assess them and therefore have to complete less paperwork for your local authority.