Applying for a Scholarship
Are you ...
- Aged 16 or 17 by 31 August this year?
- Studying and interested in: science - especially ecology, geography, geology or the environment?
- Interested in understanding more about an area - what lives there (plants, animals and humans) and its place in the world?
Then becoming a Young Darwin Scholar will give you
- the opportunity to take your interest in the natural world further
- a chance to think about options for further studies in ecology, science, geology and other environment based subjects
- a way to find out more about careers working in the environment
- a chance to meet inspiring people and learn more about their work in the environment
- ongoing opportunities, mentoring and support to further interest and develop skills over a number of years
- the chance to be part of a network of like minded people and make new friendships
- a scholarship to add to your CV or personal statement
About the Scholarship
The Young Darwin Scholarship is NOT just a five day residential in August 2017 it’s a long term opportunity for Scholars to meet Scholars from previous years , experts, and receive bursaries to attend FSC courses and reunions to further develop interest, knowledge and skills.
- 15 Scholarships will be awarded in 2017 to young people who live in the UK
- Young Darwin Scholars start by attending ‘What would Darwin do today?’ a 5 day residential course held in Shropshire near the birthplace of Charles Darwin, the famous naturalist and ‘father’ of the theory of evolution in August.
- The scholarship will cover 85% of the cost of the initial residential
- Travel bursaries may be available for those with particular financial challenges
- Following the residential Scholars join the YDS group and are kept informed of other opportunities e.g. behind the scenes visits to the Natural History Museum and YDS reunions
- °Bursaries are available to attend FSC natural history courses to increase knowledge and skills
How to Apply
Applications are now open for 2017 Young Darwin Scholarships. The closing date to apply is: Friday 23rd June 2017.
To apply simply complete the Young Darwin Scholarship Application Form and return it by email to [email protected]