Young Darwin Scholars
This is where you will find out more about opportunities that we are able to offer you as a YDS
It is also worth looking at the Useful Links page click here
YDS Reuion 2017 at FSC Nettlecombe Court 31 July - 3 August
It's your chance to catch up with friends and meet YDS from other years as well as explore a new FSC Centre and its surrounding area including Exmoor National Park. The course fee is £75 for this 4 day experience. You can download the full details and draft programme here
YDS Subsidy to attend FSC Courses
As part of your YDS we are able to offer you a subsidy of at least 50% off the course fee of an FSC course each year. This summer there are lots of camps and courses on offer for people of your age or you can attend one of the FSC natural history courses. You are able to choose your course but your place is dependent on there being space for you.
Here are some of the camps and courses for people over 16 this summer
- Fri 21 July - Wed 26 July Geology Camp at FSC Dale Fort
- Sat 22 July - Wed 26 July Wild Skills Week at FSC Preston Montford
- Sun 06 August - Fri 11 August Biodiversity and Conservation Residential: Gold DofE at FSC Preston Montford
- Mon 14 August - Tue 15 August Wildlife Watching with YDS at FSC Preston Montford Georgia, Sorrel and George from YDS 2016 will be sharing some of their knowledge
- Mon 21 August - Fri 25 August Conservation and Biodiversity - DofE Gold Residential at FSC Slapton Ley
- Mon 28 August - Fri 01 September Conservation and Biodiversity - DofE Gold Residential at FSC Slapton Ley
- Wed 30 August - Thu 31 August Water, Water Everywhere at FSC Preston Montford
If you are interested in Biological Recording our TomBio project have a really interesting Introduction to Biological Recording’ course, suitable for complete beginners. The exciting part is that we’re holding it at Knepp in Sussex, home to one of the UK’s ‘rewilding’ projects. The even more exciting part is that the accommodation is either glamping in luxury yurts/shepherds huts, or for a cheaper option, camping on their eco-friendly camp ground (bring your own tent!). It’s only £90 for the camping option, £170 for luxury glamping, including all meals and tuition - AND as a YDS you will only pay 50% of the cost ! Find out more here
If you are interested please contact Sue to find out if there are spaces.
Don't forget to have a look at the programme of FSC natural history courses
So here’s what to do if you want to take advantage of this support to learn more or develop your skills.
- Look at our programme of courses for young people or our natural history courses
Select up to 3 courses that you are interested in and email Sue the details giving Centre, date and course title (pick 3 just in case your first choice is not available)
- We will check availability of places for you and the level of subsidy that we can offer and let you know
- You can decide whether or not to attend – if you want to attend we will contact the Centre running the course and ask them to book you on
- The Centre will contact you with further details and also an invoice for your contribution. You will pay your contribution of the course fee directly to them
Hope you will join us on a course!
Any questions please contact Sue email [email protected]
There are a number of really interesting and helpful experts who either you met at Preston Montford or who we have contacted recently who are willing to be contacted to provide information, guidance or to help with ID. If you are contacting them please mention that you are a Young Darwin Scholar. click here