Spiders Identification @ The Green Centre
- Location: Epping Forest
- Tutor: Peter Harvey
- Date: Saturday 26 May 2018
- Times: 10:00 - 16:00
- Level: Beginners
- This course is run in partnership with Essex Field Club:
- NON-RESIDENT: £45
Introduction to the British families within the Araneae (spiders). You will learn how to recognise these spiders to family level, gain an insight into their varied biology and become familiar with the field techniques required to find them. There will be plenty of time to search for spiders in the Centre’s extensive grounds, but also the opportunity to examine specimens more critically under the microscope and use identification keys, including copies of the Collins Field Guide to Spiders.
This is an introductory course to the group Araneae, but attendees should have some basic knowledge of invertebrates.
This course runs from 10.00 to 16.00. This one day course is led by the Essex Field Club in partnership with FSC Epping Forest. The venue for this course is the Green Centre in Wat Tyler Country Park, Essex.
Our Natural History and Exploring Nature and the Arts courses are designed for those aged 18 and above. If you are interested in one of our courses but are under 18 at the time of the course beginning please contact the Centre hosting the course prior to booking to discuss the content and its suitability.
About the Tutor:
Peter Harvey runs the national Spider Recording Scheme, the SRS website and produces the SRS News three times a year. With the other members of the Essex Spider Group he has helped make Essex arguably the best recorded county for spiders in Britain. He is a Past President of the Essex Field Club, runs their website and is part of the Editorial Team for the Essex Naturalist.
- 10.00 Registration and refreshments at the Green Centre, Wat Tyler Country Park
- 10.15 Lecture: An introduction to spiders
- 11.00 Field session in the Centre grounds
- 12.30 Lunch
- 13.30 Identification resources and indoor session using microscopes and keys
- 15.00 Lecture: Spider recording – how and why ?
- 16.00 Course ends.
Disclaimer: All timings are approximate. This is an outline programme and may be subject to change according to the weather, requirements of the group or access restrictions to field sites on the day of the course.
What to bring:
- Packed lunch
- Weather-appropriate clothing
- note-taking materials
- A mix of classroom work with site visits within walking distance of the immediate parkland environs of Wat Tyler Country Park
Health and Safety:
- There will be a member of staff with first aid training and access to a first aid kit on site.
- If you have special medical requirements please let us know as soon as possible so we can plan the course.
The Green Centre Wat Tyler Country Park Pitsea Essex SS16 4UH
|Directions to The Green Centre, Wat Tyler Country Park|
Select the booking option and quantity from the list below and add them to your basket.
View your basket