Birdwatching in Bushy Park
- Location: London
- Tutor: John Van Den Bosch
- Date: Saturday 14 April 2018
- Times: 10:00 - 16:00 (registration from 09:30)
- Level: Open for Everyone
- NON-RESIDENT: £30
This course is now historical and therefore no bookings can be taken. Explore our current programme of courses here
Bushy Park is a good location to spot a range of birds in spring when they are active and singing vigorously. Resident birds have been joined by summer migrants, some of which have come to stay while others pass through to breeding grounds elsewhere. The course is designed to help you observe and identify birds. It is ideal for beginners to birdwatching but is also very suitable for people who want to brush up their skills or who just want to see what is about in the Park.
We will spend the day visiting different areas, the open parkland, the ponds, the gardens with their wooded areas and the wetland which is being developed in the Brewhouse fields (yes, we will visit parts which are not open to the public). Advice will be given on how to watch birds successfully, where to watch and what equipment and books are appropriate and good value.
By the end of this course participants will have:
- A basic understanding of how to watch birds
- Views of a good sample of the birds in the Park (conditions permitting!)
- Knowledge of what is involved in a bird watching trip.
Course fee includes a copy of the FSC fold out chart: Top 50 Garden Birds.
John van den Bosch has been watching and helping to protect birds and their environment in Bushy Park for over 30 years.
- 0930 Registration
- 1000 Welcome, Health and Safety & Introduction
- 1015 How to watch birds successfully
- 1030 Visiting different areas, the open parkland and the ponds
- 1230 Lunch
- 1330 Visiting different areas, the gardens with their wooded areas and the wetland
- 1530 Summary
- 1550 Taking your interest further and Course Reviews
- 1600 Course finishes
Disclaimer All timings are approximate. This is an outline programme and may be subject to change according to the weather, requirements of the group or access restrictions to field sites on the day of the course
What to bring:
- Lunch and plenty to drink
- Suitable clothing & footwear, waterproofs or sun cream as appropriate!
- Notebook and pencil
- Small bag to carry personal items.
If you have them
- Bird ID book
Health and Safety
- There will be a member of staff with first aid training and access to a first aid kit on site.
- If you have special medical requirements please let us know as soon as possible so we can plan the course.
- Please be aware that this is a Deer Park, and there can be ticks. Please consider wearing long sleeved tops and trousers, even if the weather is nice, and bring insect repellent.
Meeting point / Location
The Stockyard, Bushy Park. https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/bushy-park/visitor-information/opening-times-and-getting-here
FSC in Bushy Park
FSC have been working in partnership with The Royal Parks to deliver courses since 2011. In Bushy Park, our education Centre has two classrooms, toilet facilities, a small kitchen and office space. Alongside this is an area of the Park for education use, not open to members of the public. With two large meadows and grassland areas, woodland areas and three ponds, this is an exciting and inspiring space to discover more about the Park. Located near Hampton Court Palace, Bushy Park's mixture of woods, gardens, ponds and grassland makes it a fantastic place to enjoy wildlife with roaming herds of Red and Fallow Deer. The park is also home to the famous Chestnut Avenue, a formal Baroque water garden and the beautiful Diana Fountain.
This course is now historical and therefore no bookings can be taken.
View your basket