Introduction to Wild Flowers (Bushy Park)
- Location: London
- Tutor: Pippa Hyde
- Date: Saturday 02 June 2018
- Times: 10:00 - 16:00
- Level: Open for Everyone
- NON-RESIDENT: £30
An informal, beginner’s guide to flowering plants in Bushy Park, one of London's Royal Parks. During the day you will see a variety of species and learn more about how to identify them correctly. There will be time spent in our flower-rich meadows and on the grazed acid grassland.
By the end of this course participants will have:
- Discovered more about the wildflowers of Bushy Park.
- Have an understanding about how to identify wildflowers.
- Be aware of where to find further information.
Course fee includes a copy of the FSC fold out chart: Describing Flowers.
About the Tutor:
Pippa Hyde is an experienced recorder, contributing to the London Natural History Society project and The London Flora Atlas. She is Chair of the Bushy Park Wildlife Group and edited The Wild Flower Society's Magazine for fifteen years until 2016.
- 0930 Registration
- 1000 Welcome, Health and Safety
- 1010 Introduction to Bushy Park
- 1030 Field session 1 - Introduction to identifying wildflowers
- 1200 Lunch
- 1230 Field session 2 - Wildflowers on grazed acid grassland and Meadow
- 1530 Course summary - a chance to ask questions
- 1550 Taking your interest further and Course Reviews
- 1600 Course finishes
Disclaimer: All timings are approximate. This is an outline programme and may be subject to change according to the weather, requirements of the group or access restrictions to field sites on the day of the course
What to bring:
- Lunch and plenty to drink
- Suitable clothing & footwear, waterproofs or sun cream as appropriate!
- Notebook and pencil
- Small bag to carry personal items
Health and Safety:
- There will be a member of staff with first aid training and access to a first aid kit on site.
- If you have special medical requirements please let us know as soon as possible so we can plan the course.
- Please be aware that this is a Deer Park, and there can be ticks. Please consider wearing long sleeved tops and trousers, even if the weather is nice, and bring insect repellent.
Meeting point / Location:
The Stockyard, Bushy Park. https://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/bushy-park/visitor-information/opening-times-and-getting-here
FSC in Bushy Park:
FSC have been working in partnership with The Royal Parks to deliver courses since 2011. In Bushy Park, our education Centre has two classrooms, toilet facilities, a small kitchen and office space. Alongside this is an area of the Park for education use, not open to members of the public. With two large meadows and grassland areas, woodland areas and three ponds, this is an exciting and inspiring space to discover more about the Park. Located near Hampton Court Palace, Bushy Park's mixture of woods, gardens, ponds and grassland makes it a fantastic place to enjoy wildlife with roaming herds of Red and Fallow Deer. The park is also home to the famous Chestnut Avenue, a formal Baroque water garden and the beautiful Diana Fountain.
Select the booking option and quantity from the list below and add them to your basket.
View your basket