All of our Centres have been awarded the Quality Badge by The Council for Learning Outside the Classroom. Each Centre achieved the badge by demonstrating that they consistently deliver high quality teaching and learning experiences and manage risk effectively. This means that you do not have to assess them and therefore have to complete less paperwork for your local authority.
FSC Generic Risk Assessments
The FSC uses generic risk assessments (Operational Code of Practice - OCoP P1) for Out of Classroom educational activities at FSC teaching locations, supported by Site Specific Risk Assessment (SSRA) and Site Working Information Cards (SWICs).
These risk assessments are for groups containing individuals of school age on courses organised and led by FSC staff or undertaking activities as part of a longer visit to an FSC learning Location.
OCoP P1 and the appendices highlight commonly identified hazards (ie things with the potential to cause harm), risks (the likelihood and severity of any harm caused) and control measures / precautions (ways of reducing likelihood of the hazard causing harm).
In using OCoP P1 across all FSC learning locations, it:
- Identifies common fieldwork undertaken and activities delivered
- Identifies common hazards and control measures
- Promotes and shares good practice
- Provides standardised information that can easily be shared with all FSC staff and customers to ensure a common understanding of expected standards and responsibilities
- Provides an initial framework for assessing activities and sites
In addition to using OCoP P1, FSC Learning Locations will complete a SWIC for each teaching site, an SSRA where relevant and if required, an additional activity risk assessment.
It is recognised by FSC that risk assessment and risk management is an ongoing process and Tutors maintain an ongoing or dynamic risk assessment throughout an educational visit by remaining alert to, and responding to changing circumstances or additional unforeseen hazards.
Creating a Risk Assessment:
Go through these three stages below to select the Generic documentation appropriate for a visit:
1. If you are going outside you will need OCoP P1 Appendix 2 Generic Out of Classroom Risk Assessment. This identifies hazards, evaluates risk and outlines control measures that are applicable every time a group goes outdoors.
2. Choose the risk assessment sheet for the environment(s) you are carrying out fieldwork in from OCoP P1 Appendix 3 Generic Environment Risk Assessments. Depending on the length of your visit, you may need one or all of these.
3. If you are undertaking specific activities (in addition to or instead of fieldwork) you will need the appropriate risk assessment for that activity from OCoP P1 Appendix 4 Generic Non-AALA Activity Risk Assessments and/or OCoP P1 Appendix 5 Generic AALA Activity Risk Assessments and/or OCoP P1 Appendix 6 Generic Externally Provided Activity Risk Assessments.
The purpose of the visit agreements (OCoP P1 appendix 1) is to confirm FSC procedures and the responsibilities of FSC staff, Group Leaders, School Group Co-ordinators, Parents and Students. These documents are referred to in the booking conditions and when you sign and return the booking acceptance form.
Other OCoP P1 appendices provide further details of and guidance for the control measures outlined in the generic documentation.