The following files show many of our key fieldwork sites at Slapton, and allow you to explore these locations virtually. This will give you a greater awareness of the places you will be studying during your visit. While exploring these places consider what kit and equipment you will need with you on each fieldwork session and what risks must be managed to ensure fieldwork will be safe and effective.
You will need Google Earth to use these files. The free version is downloadable from http://earth.google.com/.
You can then download the above files into 'my places' in Google Earth. You can then do a virtual fly through by pressing the play button at the bottom of 'my places'. If you want to view any of the sites marked with a pin or find out further information click on the site.
- Ecology sites regularly used by university and A-level groups are flagged in the 'Diverse Habitats Biology sites.kmz' file.
- Geography groups who are using the River Harbourne for river and flooding studies should access the 'River Harbourne.kmz' file.
- Groups working along the Start Bay coastline can access the 'Start Bay Coastline.kmz' file.
- If your fieldwork trip includes work in Plymouth 'Plymouth.kmz' will give you an overview of this port city.
- The various villages around Slapton which are used when looking at rural issues in the South Hams can be explored by downloading the 'Rural settlements in the South Hams.kmz' file.