Located in South Cumbria between the coast of Morecambe Bay and the Lake District National Park, FSC Castle Head is an impressive Georgian House which sits in 20 hectares of private country grounds.
FSC Castle Head is a fantastic base to explore the vast amount of things the Lake District and surrounding areas has to offer.
Guests who stay with us in the Georgian house have the choice of bunk rooms, single and twin rooms. We also have the Hillfoot accommodation wing with a mix of single en-suite, twin en-suite, and bunk rooms. Guests who stay with us can enjoy an à la carte breakfast.
There is also a large sports hall, TV lounge, library area, two large common rooms and a cosy lounge with open fire. Outdoors we have several on-site adventurous activities. We can provide access to our activities upon request, with one of our experienced tutors and at an additional charge. Activities include – rafting, canoeing, climbing, orienteering, and low ropes.
The centre is easily accessible by both road and rail, being only 20 minutes from junction 36 of the M6 and an hour and a half drive from both Manchester and Liverpool. The closest train station at Grange-over-Sands is only 5 minutes’ drive from the Centre.
- All linen provided.
- A mix of bunk, twin and single rooms.
- Some rooms have an en suite.
- Bunk rooms have separate shower and toilet block facilities.
- Towels are provided.
- Fully catered services for all dietary needs available.
- Our dining room can comfortably welcome up to 80 people.
- Courtyard with space for some cars, in dry periods cars can park in field. Large coaches are able to gain access to the Centre.
- Extensive range on-site and off-site adventurous activities:
- River Winster winds through property sporting an abundance of water birds and wildlife.
- Large grass lawns for playing games and a terraced garden with River Views.
Local countryside walks straight from the building.
General / Facilities
- Free, fast Wi-Fi.
- Mobile phone reception.
- Flat screen TV with DVD.
- A shop on site sells gifts, sweets, drinks, toiletries, and wildlife idenitfication guides.
- The centre has a licenced bar serving pre and post dinner drinks (dependent on the group).
- Whilst not a dedicated Centre we have one disabled room with en suite bathroom available.
Local towns and tourist attractions
- Lake Windemere – Windermere lake is the largest natural lake in both the Lake District and in England, and is fed by numerous rivers.
- Lakes Aquarium – Aquarium with freshwater and marine life, featuring an underwater otter tunnel and stingrays.
- Kendal Castle – Kendal Castle, probably late 12th Century, is now a ruin, but worth exploring. From here you can get brilliant views over the town.
- World of Beatrix Potter – Interactive exhibits tell the story of Potter’s writing and her importance to Lakeland conservation.
Things to know
- Check in: 4pm.
- Check out: 10am.
- No smoking in the buildings but there are designated outside smoking areas.
- No parties.
- No pets.
- Please be aware there may be other groups on site as part of our educational offering.
Keeping you safe
- Social distancing and other Covid-19-related guidelines apply. Due to Covid-19 some amenities may be unavailable.
- We are committed to enhanced cleaning processes. Find out more about our covid procedures.
- Smoke alarms in all buildings.
- Code locks on entrance points.
- First aid stations (including a defibrillator) and First Aid trained staff available.
- Free cancellation for 24 hours.
- After that, cancel before 4 weeks before and get a 50% refund, minus the service fee.