FSC Flatford Mill sits in beautiful Constable Country, amidst the quintessentially English countryside of the Dedham Vale in Suffolk on the banks of the River Stour. Visitors will stay in our historically rich buildings either Willy Lotts’ House, famous by John Constable’s ‘Haywain’ painting or Valley Farm, a medieval great hall built in the 1450’s, and of course the Mill itself that was owned and renovated by the Constable family in the 1700’s.
Guests can choose from high-standard single, twin and family rooms, some of which are en-suite. Guests who stay with us can enjoy an à la carte breakfast.
Located in East Bergholt, Flatford Mill features a shared library, a recreation room with table football and tv/dvd, licenced dining room offering alcoholic drinks, and free WiFi throughout the property. Free private parking is available.
Ipswich is 10.6 miles from the accommodation, while Colchester is 9.9 miles away. Manningtree train station (direct line to London Liverpool St) is a 10-minute taxi ride. The nearest airport is London Stansted Airport, 41 miles from FSC Flatford Mill Hostel.
- All linen provided.
- A mix of dormitory, twin and single rooms.
- Individual showers and toilets are on the same corridor as the bedrooms either directly opposite or a few feet away.
- Some rooms have ensuite.
- Towels are provided.
- Fully catered services for all dietary needs available.
- The Centre has a large dining room with big tables and benches and chairs.
- Ample parking is provided.
General / Facilities
- Free, fast Wi-Fi
- Mobile phone reception.
- Flat screen TV with DVD.
- A shop on site sells gifts, bottled water, toiletries, and wildlife identification guides.
- The centre has a licenced bar serving pre and post dinner drinks (dependent on the group).
- If you need disabled access, please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Local towns and tourist attractions
- Colchester Zoo 10.5 miles.
- Café / Bar Hare and Hounds 1.8 miles.
- Restaurant Le Talbooth 4.4 miles.
- FSC Flatford Mill Hostel is 0.9 miles from the centre of East Bergholt.
- National Trust FM is 30 second walk from Centre. On banks of River Stour with rowing boat hire, pontoon access to water for kayaks, SUPs.
- Dedham is a quaint old Essex village, 30 minute walk along river path from Centre. Has a range of pubs, cafes, art centre, and more row boat hire
Things to know
- Check in: 4pm.
- Check out: 10am.
- No smoking in the buildings but there are designated outside smoking areas.
- No parties.
- No pets.
- Please be aware there may be other groups on site as part of our educational offering.
Keeping you safe
- Social distancing and other Covid-19-related guidelines apply.
- Due to Covid-19 some amenities may be unavailable.
- We are committed to enhanced cleaning processes. Find out more about our covid procedures.
- Smoke alarms in all buildings.
- Code locks on entrance points.
- First aid stations (including a defibrillator) and First Aid trained staff available.
- Free cancellation for 24 hours.
- After that, cancel before 4 weeks before and get a 50% refund, minus the service fee.