Discovering pseudoscorpions (WM region)
- Location: Preston Montford
- Tutor: Liam Andrews
- Date: Wednesday 12 September 2018
- Times: 10 am - 4 pm
- Level: Beginners
- Non-resident: £5
This course is now historical and therefore no bookings can be taken. Explore our current programme of courses here
Location: FSC Preston Montford, Shrewsbury, Shropshire (see course brochure for more details)
If you’d like to discover the fascinating world of pseudoscorpions, and learn how to find and identify them in the field and in the lab, then this day is for you!
This day course is designed for people who are interested in learning more about pseudoscorpions and who want to take the first steps towards identifying and recording them.
- Learn about the fascinating natural history and important ecological role of these tiny but beautiful creatures.
- Learn and practice the field techniques needed to find and collect them.
- Observe live pseudoscorpions (all those collected on the day will be released).
- Using microscopes, the FSC fold-out chart to pseudoscorpions and preserved specimens, learn how to identify them down to species level.
- Find out how to take your interest further.
The day will be a mixture of classroom and field sessions so please dress appropriately. Don’t forget to bring a packed lunch!
Liam Andrews is a master’s degree student studying entomology at Harper Adams University. He has a wide range of interests within the natural world from birds to butterflies but his main interest is arachnids, specifically pseudoscorpions.
He first learned about pseudoscorpions on an FSC spider identification course in his first year of university and since then has been obsessively researching and looking for them! Although for the last few years he has been studying British pseudoscorpions he is expanding his studies into species found in Europe and elsewhere in the world.
This course is heavily subsidised by the FSC BioLinks Project (funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund).
This course is now historical and therefore no bookings can be taken.
View your basket