Field Identification of Land Snails (SE region)
- Location: FSC London: Bushy Park
- Tutor: Dr June Chatfield
- Date: Friday 05 October 2018
- Times: 10 am - 4 pm
- Level: Beginners
- Non-resident: £5
This course is fully booked on this date but you can join the waiting list (by scrollling to the bottom of the page) in case space becomes available or it is run on another date.
Location - FSC London: Bushy Park (see course brochure for more details)
This course will look at different types of land snail and how to identify a select few distinctive species in the field. On this course you will be:
- introduced to snail ecology
- shown how to identify distinctive species and groups
- shown what to look for when looking at living specimens or empty shells
- practice identification techniques
- shown how to get help with identification of terrestrial snails
- introduced to submitting snail records through the Conchological Society of Great Britain and Ireland
There will be classroom sessions and practice at identifying snails in the field. We will collect snails and empty shells from Bushy Park and bring them back into the classroom for a closer look, before releasing any live snails.
Please note that this course is a course for beginners and absolutely no experience of snails is needed – just a passion for nature and learning more about wildlife that is often overlooked.
Dr June Chatfield has had a lifelong interest in snails and is an active member of the Conchological Society of Great Britain and Ireland with a career as a college lecturer, museum curator, author and consultant. She has led snail courses at Juniper Hall since 1967.
This course is heavily subsidised by the FSC BioLinks Project (funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund).
Select the booking option and quantity from the list below and add them to your basket.
This course is currently fully booked. You can request to join the waiting list.
View your basket