Woodland Ecology and Management: The Basics
- Location: Epping Forest
- Tutor: Andy Deane
- Date: Saturday 26 October 2019
- Times: 09:45 AM - 04:30 PM
- Level: Beginners
- NON-RESIDENT: £35
A one-day course for woodland lovers; either those working or volunteering to those just intrigued in the woodland environment and would like to know more. Today you will learn about woodland ecology and how management practices, or lack of, affect it. No previous knowledge is required. Topics include habitats within woodlands, the role of animals in woodland ecology, primary and secondary succession as well as diversity of structure and species. Also discussed: what conservationists are seeking to achieve in manipulating succession, whether intervention is desirable or non-intervention better, plus types of conservation work used.
Course fee includes FSC guide Woodland Plants.
Our Natural History and Exploring Nature and the Arts courses are aimed at those aged 18 and above. If you are interested in one of our courses but are under 18 at the time of the course beginning please contact the Centre hosting the course prior to booking to discuss the content and its suitability.
Andy Deane is a lecturer in Arboriculture and Countryside Management as well as a qualified Tree Inspector. He is also a Lantra and NPTC registered assessor/trainer in chainsaw and related activities with many years' 'hands-on' experience in woodland management.
- 09.45 Registration and refreshments
- 10.00 Introduction to woodland ecology and habitats
- 11.30 Site visits to various woodland types
- 12.30 Lunch
- 13.00 More site visits
- 16.00 Return to Centre - discussion and re-cap of the day
- 16.30 Course ends
All timings are approximate. This is an outline programme and may be subject to change according to the weather, requirements of the group or access restrictions to field sites on the day of the course.
What to Bring:
- Weather-appropriate outdoor clothing
- A packed lunch and drink
Health & Safety and Accessibility:
- There will be a member of staff with first aid training and access to a first aid kit on site.
- If you have special medical requirements please let us know as soon as possible so we can plan the course.
- Our courses include some classroom sessions but field visits may be a few hours long and involve walking over uneven ground
Meeting Point / Location:
FSC Epping Forest, Pauls Nursery Road, High Beach, Loughton, Essex IG10 4AF
FSC in Epping Forest:
FSC Epping Forest is situated in the heart of Epping Forest and manages the field centre on behalf of the City of London since its opening in 1971. As a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), the forest is nationally important for wildlife and offers a wide range of learning opportunities.
|About Epping Forest|
|Directions to Epping Forest|
Select the booking option and quantity from the list below and add them to your basket.
View your basket