Spider ID with Microscopes 1: Families (WM Region)
- Location: FSC Preston Montford
- Tutor: Nigel Cane-Honeysett
- Date: Saturday 19 October 2019
- Times: 10 am - 4 pm
- Level: Intermediate
- Course Fee: £5
- Course Fee + Identification Key: £13.50
With over 670 species of spider known to occur in Britain, ID can seem a little overwhelming to complete beginners. However, spiders can be broken down into spider families like Jumping Spiders, Crab Spiders and Orbweb Spiders. The 37 families can be separated by looking at characteristics such as distinctive family-specific features, eye arrangement and body plan.
This course will provide an introduction to identifying spiders to family level using the FSC AIDGAP Keys to the families of British spiders. The course will include a short presentation introducing the features used to identify specimens to family level. During the course participants will:
- Learn about the different families of spider in Britain
- Gain experience looking at spider ID features using a microscope.
- Use an ID key to determine spider specimens accurately to family level
- Know how to take their interest further.
Please note that this course will involve using specimens that have been killed and preserved. This course is intended for adults only so it is not suitable for children.
Nigel Cane-Honeysett is a founding member of the Shropshire Spider Group (SSG) and is the British Arachnological Society’s Vice County Recorder for Shropshire and West Midlands Regional Organiser. He manages the database of Spiders and Harvestmen found in Shropshire. He has taken a pivotal role in the development of the SSG, organising many field meetings and nurturing a fledgling group of active recorders. Nigel is also an active member of the British Arachnological Society.
This course is heavily subsidised by the FSC BioLinks Project (funded by the Heritage Fund).
- £5.00 to attend the course.
- £13.50 if you wish to attend and purchase a copy of the FSC AIDGAP British Spider Families Identification Key, which we will be using on this course. Copies of the key will be available to use on the course for free, this option is for any attendees who wish to take their interest further after the course.
Select the booking option and quantity from the list below and add them to your basket.
View your basket