Field courses at our centres offer:
- High quality field sites in stunning natural landscapes within or close to protected areas of national conservation and biodiversity importance - either within walking distance or a short drive away
- Fully risk assessed field sites with prior access agreements
- Well equipped, WiFi enabled classrooms, lecture rooms and laboratories
- Range of field equipment (including on site expertise and support in use of GIS)
- Fieldwork support and local advice from trained Field Centre staff
- Links with local conservation partners such as NNRs and National Parks.
The cross disciplinary nature of many geography degrees fits well the field sites, landscapes, settlements and habitats accessible from our field centres. Nettlecombe, Malham Tarn and Dale Fort and Orielton are within National Parks and are able to offer sessions on local conservation management issues. Slapton Ley manages the adjacent Slapton NNR. Malham Tarn is adjacent to Malham Tarn NNR. Centres such as Malham, Kindrogan, Blencathra, Castle Head and Derrygonnelly offer scope for upland or mountain geographical studies. Orielton, Dale Fort, Nettlecombe, Millport and Slapton have access to sites where coastal management and coastal processes can be studied. Most centres have good river sites nearby and many are also convenient for human geography – rural settlements, tourism and urban studies.
Courses can be co-taught with University staff. FSC tutors are able to lead the fieldwork component or to provide specialist lectures. Alternatively you can lead your own course with support provided by FSC staff prior to and during the course. You are entitled to a free pre-visit to help plan your course.
Dr Mark Ward (FSC Higher Education Officer) is available to discuss details and options with you on 01743 852100 or by email [email protected] , or fill in the booking enquiry form below:Booking Enquiry
Sign up here to receive our termly email newsletter, or other relevant communications which give a brief update on FSC Higher Education provision.