Discover how and when rocks and fossils were formed. Investigate the properties of different rocks and their uses. Describe the properties of soil and investigate the differences between soils. Use this information to solve the mystery of the stolen lunch. More information on Primary School Trips.
This course usually runs from 10am – 2.30pm but times can be adjusted to suit your group and travel plans. During your visit you will be welcome to the centre and given an appropriate health and safety briefing. During the day we will undertake a number of activities, games and investigations (the exact activities will depend on the topic chosen). We will break for lunch at a suitable time. Please note that specific activities for your group are subject to change. We go out in all weathers and seasons and will tailor the content of the day accordingly. Some activities are only offered at certain times of the year.
How this course fulfills the specification
- Setting up a simple practical enquiry
- Recording findings using drawings, labelled diagrams and keys
- Reporting on findings from enquiries
- Draw simple conclusions and answer questions
- Compare and group together different kinds of rocks on the basis of their appearance and simple physical properties
- Describe in simple terms how fossils are formed when things that have lived are trapped within rock
- Recognise that soils are made from rocks and organic matter
- Explore different soils and identify similarities and differences between them
Added value of this course
- Develop personal skills
- Have fun
- Be inspired by a passion for the subject
- Build friendships