Taking inspiration from this historic and beautiful setting, Carole will show you how to translate the delightful surroundings into sketches and pen & wash studies.
In this one day course Carole will show you how to do thumbnail sketches using a viewfinder (which will be supplied), draw buildings, the river, the landscape and add figures into your scenes – all the skills needed to fill a sketchbook, an essential tool for every artist. We will be using pencil, waterproof or water soluble pens with watercolours and/or water soluble pencils and working outdoors, weather permitting. After an introduction in the studio to drawing and painting techniques, we will spend the rest of the day working outdoors around the Mill. Should the weather be unfavourable, we will spend time in the studio perfecting sketching techniques from suitable vantage points or from Carole’s photos.
Tutor: Carole MasseyCarole Massey is a popular and supportive tutor who has been teaching at Flatford Mill for nearly 20 years. She managed her own successful design partnership before returning to her first love of painting, which currently involves a combination of tutoring, demonstrations, private commissions, exhibitions, TV appearances and filming for a leading online website www.arttutor.com/artist/carolemassey. A recent portrait commission for the Bank of England of Sir Charles Bean, deputy governor now hangs in the bank in perpetuity. She is a regular contributor to art magazines and has written many teaching Artbooks, published by the award winning publisher Search Press, with international sales exceeding 250,000. Her latest books are “Drawing for the Absolute Beginner” and “The Beginners’ Guide to Drawing Portraits” which will be on sale on the course. Carole has exhibited and demonstrated at the Mall Galleries, London, and her work is in a number of private collections in the UK and abroad. She now lives in Suffolk. She can be contacted via email - [email protected].
Before You Attend
WHAT TO BRING
- A Sketchbook; I prefer to use a hard backed casebound sketchbook either landscape or portrait format between A4 & A5 size, (300 x 210mm to 210 x 150mm / 12” x 8” to 8” x 6” approx.) containing good quality cartridge paper, durable enough for light watercolour washes. See Seawhite of Brighton Popular Portrait or Landscape Black cloth casebound sketchbook 250 x 190mm can be bought at Hobbycraft or online at www.artsaver.co.uk.
- 2B or 3B Graphite pencil or a propelling pencil or clutch pencil 0.5 or 0.7 is ideal for sketching and doesn’t need frequent sharpening.
- Waterproof Pens - Black or brown fibre tipped drawing pens e.g. Pilot or
Faber Castell or equivalent, sizes 03 or 05.
- Optional: A Pentel Brushpen, black.
- Optional : Watersoluble Pens: Brown or black, e.g. Zig or Tombow, or any pen that is non permanent.
- Watercolour paints: A small portable set, suitable for packing into a
- Watercolour brushes – round Sizes 5, 8 & 12
- Optional: Several wax crayons or oil pastels e.g. White, yellow, red orange, pale green, raw sienna.
- Other materials: A kneadable rubber, a pencil sharpener, several bulldog clips or rubber bands to stop the sketchbook pages flapping in the wind.
- A lightweight chair or painting stool (these can also be hired from the office on arrival).
- Suitable clothing for the weather.
Sorry this course has ended