If you and your family love spending time in the outdoors, then our Great Outdoor Adventure will be the perfect getaway for you. Channel your inner Columbus!
This adventure will be spent on the lookout for wonderful wildlife so listen out for rustling in the bushes or splashes in the rock pools! We will be going on a minibeast hunt and learning some skills to help you survive in the wild. We will be learning how to navigate the countryside by orienteering and going on plenty of walks.
You will be able to get off the beaten track as a family and explore the countryside as you wish. Ask your adventure leader on the best places to visit in the area!
Our evenings will be just as adventurous as we head out on a night walk, on the lookout for swooping bats. On the final night we will gather around a campfire, lit using the skills you have learnt, whilst enjoying some roasted marshmallows!
For a full list of activities, see our timetable below. Our activities are most suitable for children aged 6 – 12 however younger and older children are welcome to join in. Children should be accompanied by a guardian on all activities.
Tutor: Adventure Leaders
This experience will be led by our experienced and enthusiastic adventure leaders.
We have received the ‘Good to Go’ mark in recognition of following government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, ensuring processes are in place to maintain cleanliness and aid social/physical distancing.
Find how we will be keeping you safe.
All activities are subject to change, due to weather conditions at the time.
Tuesday Afternoon and Evening
- Arrive and Welcome to Millport
- Nature Night Walk - An evening stroll around the grounds looking for signs of night-time wildlife. Set some mammal traps ready for the following morning session, then find out what it’s like to be a bat and hopefully hear some different species of bats using a bat detector.
- Mammals and Moths - Discover what has been out at night in our centre grounds by opening up our small mammal and moth traps. Learn how traps are used for scientific monitoring and what happens with the data collected.
- Pond Dipping - Delve into the unseen watery depths to discover the life teeming beneath the surface.
- Discover the Secret World of Minibeasts - Explore the local countryside while on your search for minibeasts. Leave no log or stone unturned in your quest to find as many different species as possible and test your knowledge to be a bronze, silver or gold bug hunter!
- Bushcraft – learn to build a fire and cook your own bread, and have a go at building a shelter for the whole family
- Orienteering - Explore your way around the local surroundings by using a map and learn about the environment on the way
- Free Day - Get out and explore with your family - Ask your Adventure Leader to find out the best places to visit!
- Rock pooling at Farland Point - Explore the inhabitants of the rocky shore Island. What lives under the rocks and in the seaweed?
- Island Exploration Walk
- Campfire - Come join us for an evening around the campfire on the estate grounds. Toast some marshmallows and have a good time with your new friends.
Before You Attend
What to bring
- Waterproof coat
- Comfortable shoes
- Lunch box
- Water bottle
- Please be prepared for both warm and cold weather.