If you and your family love spending time in the outdoors, then our Great Outdoor Adventure will be the perfect getaway for you. Channel your inner Columbus!
The first day will be spent on the lookout for wonderful wildlife so listen out for rustling in the bushes or splashes in the pond! Together we will be helping our local environment stay nature friendly by taking part in one of our conservation activities.
The following day you will be able to get off the beaten track as a family and explore the countryside as you wish. Ask your adventure leader on the best places to visit in the area! We want to hear all about it the following day on our big day out. We will be learning how to navigate the countryside by orienteering and completing one of our nature spotter guides.. from ladybirds and squirrels to wildflowers and animal tracks, how many will you find?
Our evenings will be just as adventurous as we head out on a night walk, on the lookout for swooping bats. On the final night we will gather around a campfire, lit using the skills you have learnt, whilst enjoying some roasted marshmallows!
For a full list of activities, see our timetable below. Our activities are most suitable for children aged 6 – 12 however younger and older children are welcome to join in. Children should be accompanied by a guardian on all activities. If your child will be under the age of three on time of arrival, please select the ‘Infant’ booking option so they can attend for free!
All of our family activities are scheduled to take place outside, in line with the current government guidelines. If bad weather means that we are unable to carry out the outdoor activities, indoor activities will be available for families to take part in individually.
Tutor: Adventure Leaders
This experience will be led by our experienced and enthusiastic adventure leaders.
We have received the ‘Good to Go’ mark in recognition of following government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, ensuring processes are in place to maintain cleanliness and aid social/physical distancing.
Find out about our book with confidence scheme and how we will be keeping you safe.
All activities are subject to change, due to weather conditions at the time.
- Arrival and welcome to FSC Juniper Hall
- Ice breakers
- Mammals and Moths - Have a go at setting up humane mammal and moth traps ready for us to see what has visited us in the morning.
- Mammals and Moths - Discover what has been out at night in our centre grounds by opening up our small mammal and moth traps. Learn how traps are used for scientific monitoring and what happens with the data collected.
- Mini Beast Hunt - Mini beast hunt around our local woodlands and meadow. Pond dipping in our small ponds.
- Conservation activity - A chance to make a 'take home', practical item to help you practice some conservation at home. There will be the chance to make a bird box, a bat box, or a bug hotel.
- Nature Night Walk - An evening stroll around the grounds looking for signs of night-time wildlife. Set some mammal traps ready for the following morning session, then find out what it’s like to be a bat and hopefully hear some different species of bats using a bat detector.
- Free Day - get off the beaten track as a family and explore! There is a wide range of local, outdoor adventures to be had including using high ropes courses, climbing and abseiling, water-sports, mountain biking. More info is available through the centre.
- Big Day Out with a Wildlife Focus - This will start with a visit to Knepp Estate where it's possible to see some very rare species. Lunch out. After lunch, on the way back to Juniper Hall, we will stop at Warnham Nature Reserve.
- Campfire - Come join us for an evening around the campfire on the estate grounds. Toast some marshmallows and have a good time with your new friends.
- Wave goodbye!
Before You Attend
What to bring
- Waterproof coat
- Comfortable shoes
- Lunch box
- Water bottle
- Sun cream
- Sun hat
- Please bring plenty of extra layers and spare clothes, you never know what the weather will be like!
Sorry this course has ended