This weekend course introduces tutor Helen Hanson’s fresh approach to landscape, integrating waterproof drawing pens and artist-quality coloured pencils.
Taking the coastline as inspiration, she will guide you through the techniques she uses to create water, rocks, flowers and sky. Pen and coloured pencil techniques are easy to learn and will be demonstrated, together with embossing, lifting out and other special effects. Starting with a step-by-step approach, you will progress to your own composition, with individual support and encouragement to develop your own style.
This is slow art, but absorbing and rewarding; you may be pleasantly surprised by the results!
Tutor: Helen HansonHelen Hanson is a Fellow of the Society of Botanical Artists, winner of the President's Award and a former Council Member of the Society of Women Artists. She was for many years a successful printmaker, exhibiting her landscape etchings in galleries and exhibitions throughout Britain. Always inspired by the natural world, she now concentrates on ink and coloured pencil landscape and botanical coloured pencil works and enjoys tutoring adults locally and at residential venues in the UK.
Before You Attend
Where to meet and at what time?
Resident participants are requested to arrive for registration by 17.00 on arrival day. The course will begin after supper. Non-residents can arrive 10/15 mins before the evening meal. There will be an introductory talk at 17.00. Supper is usually at 18.30. A non-resident booking also includes dinner during your course as teaching does progress into the evening. Breakfast, for resident participants, will be from 8:00 am. The course will end on Sunday at 16.00 with a departure on Monday. On the final day please vacate your room by 9:00 am, storage is provided for your luggage.
What to Bring
- Artist quality coloured pencils (preferably non-watercolour, although these can be used dry) - Faber Castell Polychromos, Derwent Artist or Procolour, Caran D’Ache Pablo or similar.
- A4 Bristol board (Strathmore Series 300 smooth is recommended). This will be available for purchase from the tutor by the sheet.
- An HB pencil and ruler.
- A good pencil sharpener with a very sharp blade (Möbius & Ruppert round brass sharpener is highly recommended).
- A grey putty rubber
- Waterproof Indian ink pens - Faber Castell Pitt artist pens (SX, S, F, M) or Staedtler pigment liner pens (0.5, 0.3, 0.1 and ultra-fine 0.05).
- A sketch pad or cartridge paper for preliminary drawings.
- Feel free to bring your own summer landscape photos, images or sketches, or to work from the Flatford environment. If you need inspiration the tutor will bring some seasonal images. Please keep to landscape and plants rather than buildings, people, boats etc.