A Duke of Edinburgh Gold Residential at FSC Preston Montford is a great opportunity to get hands on with nature in a variety of conservation tasks as well as a fantastic chance to learn about wildlife and contemporary issues in conservation.
Explore the areas of outstanding natural beauty in the Shropshire Hills, find out more about the wildlife that lives there, conserve local habitats, have fun and make new friends.
This course is designed to be suitable for a Duke of Edinburgh Gold Residential experience but it is open to anyone looking to improve their appreciation of wildlife. Please check the suitability with your DofE Leader before booking.
A shuttle bus from Shrewsbury rail station is offered at 10am on the Monday and return at 4.30pm on Friday.
Get to know Preston Montford, it’s biodiversity and the other members of the group through surveying of wildlife habitats. Discuss personal aims and objectives for the week, and develop a sense of community essential for the week ahead. Bring your camera for a wildlife photography opportunities.
Get your hands dirty working together on wildlife and conservation tasks at a local nature reserve.
Wildlife hike through Shropshire’s highest and most dramatic National Nature Reserve to understand how this ecosystem has formed and is being managed for biodiversity.
Participate in a bioblitz for wildlife at Preston Montford and learn how to record biodiversity to help conservation.
Leaving a legacy – Carry out a wildlife project to improve biodiversity at FSC Preston Montford.
Before You Attend
What to bring
- Walking boots with good tread and ankle support
- Waterproof jacket and waterproof over trousers*
- Personal medication
- A Game to share
- Warm hat and gloves*
- Wash kit and towel
- Warm clothing, plenty of layers and changes of clothes. (you may get wet every day). Jeans are not a good idea as they get cold when wet
- Small day rucksack
- Binoculars* and camera* for wildlife spotting
- Sun cream, sun hat, water bottle, thermos flask
- Head torch* (or any torch if not got a head torch)
- Money – there is a tuck shop on site
- Camera either a digital or phone camera*
*These items can be borrowed from the Centre
Sorry this course has ended