The two-day Snorkel Instructor Training Course and Assessment introduces you to the essential elements of both theory and practical snorkelling instruction. There is the opportunity to practise everything that you learn, above and below the water.
In the classroom you will learn presentation techniques to successfully transfer theory knowledge to students. During in-water practical sessions, you will see in action the well-proven teaching method of demo-mimic: that is doing a perfect demonstration of skills, then asking students to mimic you.
You will develop your personal instructing skills including:
- How to break down basic snorkelling skills into easy steps.
- How to successfully develop the skills of a trainee.
- How to give useful feedback to trainees.
- Practising your theory and practical instructing skills.
- The action-packed Snorkel Instructor Training Course and Assessment includes theory sessions, a theory assessment, teaching demonstrations, a practical skill-development session in the sea, some lesson planning, and the chance to deliver your own mini classroom lesson and mini in-water lesson to a small group of three or four fellow attendees. Dale Fort has its own jetty from where most in-water sessions will be delivered.
Course instructors will have plenty of time to deliver personal feedback to everyone involved. On day two of the course you will be assessed on your classroom lesson presentation skills and your snorkelling instructor abilities in the pool. You will also sit a multiple choice assessment on snorkelling theory.
Start and finish times
Check in is from 16:00 on 3rd May, but the first formal activity is at 09:00 on 4th May followed by an evening classroom session.
Residents: Please aim to arrive between 16:00 and 17:00 on Sunday or 08:30 on Monday to allow us sufficient time to show you to your accommodation and around the communal areas.
Non-residents: You do not need to arrive quite so early but please can you be here by 08:30 on Monday as we need to show you the communal areas as well.
The course ends at 18:00 on Tuesday 5th, depart 09:00 Wednesday 6th.
Before You Attend
What to Bring
- Snorkel and fins
- Warm clothes for post in-water sessions.
Wetsuit, snorkel and fins can be hired from the centre also.