This one-day course is suitable for beginners/near beginners and those wishing to improve a script.
You can choose to focus on learning/improving one edged-pen script eg uncial, italic, foundational hand, Roman capitals (and other scripts) or a pointed pen script such as the currently very popular modern pointed pen script or copperplate.
There will be plenty of tutor demonstration and individual help, with exemplars also provided.
Tutor: Gaynor GoffeGaynor Goffe, BA Hons, London University, Surrey Diploma in Art and Design, is a freelance calligrapher. She spent three years as an assistant to calligrapher Donald Jackson, followed by 16 years teaching on the calligraphy courses at the Roehampton Institute and 3 years teaching at Reigate School of Art and Design. She is a Fellow of the Society of Scribes and Illuminators and also a Fellow of the Calligraphy and Lettering Arts Society. Her two books, Calligraphy Made Easy and Calligraphy Step-by-Step (with Anna Ravenscroft) were published in 1994.
Before You Attend
What to bring
Tools and materials will be provided by the tutor for the day, but if you wish to provide your own tools and materials please bring the following:
- Mitchell’s square cut ‘roundhand’ nib size 2 for edged pen scripts (left oblique for left handers), OR Zebra G pointed nib for modern pointed pen script or copperplate
- Slippon reservoir
- Bottle Pelikan 4001 black ink
- Pad Winsor & Newton smooth surface drawing & sketching cartridge 60 or 70 lbs weight A3 size more useful but A4 ok for practice
- HB pencil, ruler, scissors, eraser, water pot (small jam jar), tissues.
- All tools and materials obtainable from www.scribblers.co.uk or Amazon.