This course offers teachers the opportunity to improve their skills in providing high quality ‘first hand’ outdoor fieldwork. We will share data collection ideas that can be used to prepare students for the non-examined assessment (NEA) component of the A-level Geography qualification, and introduce skills that can be applied at GCSE. Course fee includes FSC fold out chart: Creative Fieldwork Guide. Throughout the course, participants will gain practical experience of planning and carrying out Geography fieldwork data collection, research and investigation, designed to support specification requirements. We will discuss the use of GIS, data presentations and statistics along with demonstrating how apps can be used in the field.
By the end of the course participatns will:
- Consider what contributes to effective learning in the field and how we can ensure all students are actively engaged in the process.
- Develop a toolkit of quantitative and qualitative techniques.
- Understand how to collect, manipulate and use data through technology.
- Build confidence in data presentation and analysis from fieldwork data
Tutor: Eddie JonesEddie Jones is a Tutor at FSC Epping Forest with a passion for outdoor learning and a range of interests including geography, local history, ecology and hiking.
10.00 Welcome and Introduction
10.15 Practicalities of outdoor learning
10.30 A city is more than a place in space- Urban Fieldwork back to basics
13.15 Technology is not just a tool- Urban Fieldwork in the age of the smart phone
15.00 Crunching Numbers- GIS, Data Presentation and Statistics
16.00 Course Finishes
All timings are approximate. This is an outline programme and may be subject to change according to the weather, requirements of the group or access restrictions to field sites on the day of the course. Our courses include some classroom sessions but field visits may be a few hours long and involve walking over uneven ground.
Before You Attend
What to Bring
- Sensible clothing for the weather
- Appropriate footwear
- Lunch and Drinks (refreshments are provided)