Fancy a free weekend out to delve into history, wildlife, and traditional crafts? Then join us as we throw open the doors to our Worcestershire centre, Bishops Wood.
On Saturday the 11th of June 2022, we have an exciting mix of activities, local businesses and stands to explore — a family fun day for all!
On Sunday, the 12th of June 2022, BioLinks will be hosting a BioBlitz to try and identify as many species of flora and fauna as possible. So, whether you are interested in plants, mammals, invertebrates, birds, or all of the above – we need your help! This is an event for adults to meet like-minded people and practice wildlife identification skills.
The whole weekend is a free event, and we would love to see you there! You can read more about what’s on below.
Saturday 11 June — Bishops Wood Open Day
This day is free to attend, and booking is not required. Refreshments are available on-site, or you can bring a picnic with you. Suitable for all ages. Open 10:00 – 16:00.
On the 11th of June, we have our Bishops Wood Open day, a chance for adults and children to explore Viking history by participating in games and activities in the Saxon area, which includes a traditional Saxon Hall and a full-size Viking longship.
But if this doesn’t interest you, don’t worry! We have plenty more on offer! There will be outdoor activities, lots of craft stands and stalls showcasing local businesses. In addition, BioLinks will be there with an array of wildlife activities, from moth identification to woodland walks — plus, if you complete all the BioLinks activities, you get to take home one of our much-loved identification guides.
Open Day Activities
- Viking games and activities at the Saxon Hall.
- Wand making — Carve your very own wand!
- Fire lighting and toasting marshmallows
- Pond Dipping
- PoMS FIT Count — Take part in some citizen science!
- Moth Identification
- Woodland name trail walk
- Colour and craft your own insect face mask
- Shelter building
- Climate change walk and quiz
- Mindfulness walks and activities
- Browse stalls from local businesses
There will also be a chance to chat to the team about volunteering and other opportunities with the Field Studies Council.
All activities at the open day are free, and there is free parking on site.
Sunday 12 June — BioBlitz
This event is free to attend; however, booking is essential as we will be providing lunch and refreshments. Open 10:00 – 15:00. Adults only. To book your place, please email [email protected]
On Sunday, BioLinks will be taking over to discover what species call Bishops Wood home. This is an adult-only event with catering provided — all for free!
We just ask that you come along and put your wildlife and botanical identification skills to use. We will be creating what we hope to be a very long species list for the centre and submitting these as biological records. We will have experts on hand to help and a selection of surveying equipment that can be used. Here are some of the groups we will be looking out for on the day.
- Terrestrial and Soil Invertebrates – There are thousands of invertebrates in the UK, so it will be all hands on deck to identify as many as possible. There will be opportunities to use sweep nets, butterfly nets, soil sieves, leaf litter sieves, pooters, and hand lenses.
- Freshwater Invertebrates – use our equipment to explore what lives below the surface of the ponds on site. They are a hub for dragonfly and damselfly larvae, so it would be great to identify which species. It is also the perfect time of year to see them in flight and resting on vegetation, so bring your camera for great photo opportunities! We will also be interested in identifying the other types of aquatic species, from fly larvae to diving beetles.
- Mammals – Although the mammals on-site may be elusive, it may be possible to identify the species from their tracks or droppings. There may be a range of small mammals, plus larger woodland dwelling species such as badgers and deer.
- Plants – June presents a delightful mix of botanical species, with many in flower. We will have some identification guides on hand to help identify the trees, wildflowers, and grasses on site.
- Birds – The birds have been busy feeding up their young through spring, and in June, these juvenile fledglings will start to leave the nests. We will be listening and looking for as many species as possible, so bring some binoculars and keep your eyes peeled for some fluffy fledglings!
- And everything else! Every record counts, so whatever you would like to come along and identify, we would be more than grateful.
We look forward to seeing you there! Email us to book your free place: [email protected]
Please note Sunday is an adult-only event. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch: [email protected]
How to Find Us
Surrounded by stunning ancient woodland FSC Bishops Wood has a unique and sustainable centre building. The grounds are also home to a large pond and several outdoor learning areas with natural wood and willow sculptures. Bishops Wood is owned by the National Grid and operated by the Field Studies Council.
FSC Bishops Wood
From Kidderminster (M5, A38, A449 southbound). On the M5 heading southbound coming off at junction 5, taking the third exit on the roundabout to get onto the A38. at the first roundabout take the third exit onto Kidderminster Road going straight over the next roundabout sticking to Kidderminster Road. At the second left turn to follow Doverdale Lane. Once you have come to a sign turning right onto the A449 take it until you get to the Mitre Oak pub on your left. Take the first exit on the roundabout onto Bishops Wood Lane, and finally taking the first left you will arrive at Bishops Wood Field Centre.
From Worcester (M5, A449 northbound). On the M5 heading northbound, take Junction 6 to Worcester/ Kidderminster taking the second exit heading for the A449 northbound, continuing for 9 miles. At the roundabout with the Mitre Oak pub take the first exit onto Stourport Road. Take the first left onto Bishops Wood Lane, and finally taking the first left you will arrive at Bishops Wood Field Centre.
Contact for the Open Day on Saturday 11th June: [email protected]
Contact for the BioBlitz on Sunday 12th June: [email protected]