Located on the Isle of Cumbrae on the Firth of Clyde, FSC Millport has a rich history as a marine research station. Since becoming a field centre, purpose-built accommodation and teaching spaces have been created to provide an excellent base for a range of courses. The Centre is easily reached in just 10 minutes by ferry from the mainland at Largs.
Find out more about our well equipped Research Vessel at FSC Millport.
Please note: The Robertson Aquarium and Museum, is currently closed
Food at our centres
For one day visits you are usually asked to bring a packed lunch unless it is specified otherwise.
Residential visits include freshly prepared seasonal meals, with a hot breakfast, packed lunch and choice of evening meal. Food is sourced locally wherever possible and we can cater for any dietary requirements. All of our residential centres have been awarded the Soil Association’s Food for Life Served Here Bronze Award which recognises organisations which go the extra mile to make sure visitors are receiving healthy, nutritious and sustainable meals.
We want your stay to be as comfortable as possible. Our residential centres offer a range of room sizes and layouts from single and twin up to larger dormitories. Some rooms are en suite and others have shower and toilet facilities close by. Please contact us if you want to discuss your room requirements.
Each centre also has places to relax during any free time such as a lounge, games room and outdoor space.
Health and Safety
- Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge
- Carbon Trust Standard
- Adventure Activities Licensing Authority (AALA) licence
- Food Hygiene rating: Pass
- Investors in People
- Green Tourism Award Silver
- John Muir Award
- Met Office active participant
- Safety Shield Health and Safety Award (Moorepay) Gold
- BSAC snorkelling centre
How to find us
FSC has developed links with First Travel Solutions (FTS), and we recommend them as a coach travel provider to help reduce the cost of transport for academic groups to our Centres. FTS provide a fully supported, UK wide school travel service, providing a dedicated contact for each coach booking from the initial contact through to tracked delivery with 100% security on all deposits paid. If you would like to receive a quote from First Travel Solutions please enquire here.
At Millport we are just 8 minutes on the ferry from Largs, and within an hour and a half travel of Glasgow.
The motorway network from Glasgow and the M8, takes you to the A737. The A760 then takes you directly to Largs. Many of our guests choose to leave their car in Largs, either in the car park on the main promenade next to the ferry port (a postcode for those using sat nav. to this location is KA30 8LZ) or on one of the back roads near the ferry terminal. If you choose to come over on the ferry as a foot passenger, once you have parked in Largs or alighted your coach, simply follow the instructions down below from point (1).
For those who choose to bring their cars or coaches over on the ferry; when you come onto the island turn left, and stay on the coast road (do not take the right turn directing you into Millport 400m from the ferry). Stay on this road for 3 km and the Centre is the first set of buildings you will see as you come into a 30mph zone. Our postcode for those using sat nav. is KA28 0EG.
With the close proximity of Largs train station to the Millport ferry, and the excellent links to Glasgow Central train station, this is understandably a very popular (and low carbon) way of reaching the Centre. Many of our guests find it cheaper to book tickets to Glasgow, and then buy a separate ticket for the last short leg of the journey from Glasgow Central to Largs.
(1) Once you arrive in Largs train station simply head out the main exit, and once on the high street you will see the slip way, from where the ferry departs, 100 metres to your left.
(2) To the left of the slip way there is a small ferry office where you can buy a return passenger ticket for under £5. Then board the ferry (on the return journey no tickets are collected, so you only need a ticket to get to the island).
(3) 8 minutes after leaving Largs you will arrive on the Cumbrae Slip, where a bus will be waiting. Currently tickets are £2 for a single journey. The bus stops, about 5 minutes later, outside the Centre, which is at the start of the Millport town 30mph zone.
There is a regular bus service from Glasgow airport to Paisley Gilmour Street train station (on most days, throughout the day, this runs every 10 minutes), currently this route is served by the no. 66 and takes 14 minutes. This 2 mile journey is also possible by taxi. From Gilmour Street a regular direct train service to Largs takes approximately 45 minutes. Once you arrive at Largs simply follow the instructions above from step (1).
We recommend you take out travel insurance for train and plane fares in case courses are cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances or low bookings.
Courses and Experiences at FSC Millport
- Primary School Trips
- Secondary School Courses
- School Digital and Outreach Packages
- Universities: Groups and Individual Students
- Natural History Courses
- Art Courses and Holidays
- Walking Courses and Holidays
- Health and Wellbeing
- Family Courses
- Experiences for Young People
- Training for Group Leaders
- Research Vessel