Travels with my sketchbook is an exploration of creativity. Taking inspiration from the beautiful countryside and historic buildings around Flatford Mill, each day will be spent venturing outdoors with our sketchbooks to capture and record our travels.
A ‘step by step’ programme of exercises and demonstrations designed to help and encourage complete beginners and more experienced artists. With help and guidance from the tutor, participants will be able to construct several finished sketches using various techniques, culminating in an end of course exhibition of their achievements.
About the Tutor
Carl March is a professional artist and qualified teacher with over 30 years experience teaching adults. He enjoys working in different media and particularly enjoys sharing his knowledge with others. His teaching experiences have taken him to many beautiful places in the UK and further afield, including working on a cruise ship as a visiting art lecturer.
About Flatford Mill
We have four buildings that are used for visitor accommodation. Whilst most rooms are either en-suite or have a dedicated bathroom, there are some rooms in The Mill that share showers and toilets at the end of the hall. If this is un-suitable for you please make the office staff aware upon booking or as soon as possible. Please be aware that you are visiting a Field Centre that caters in the main for school parties; the accommodation is basic and dormitory style, but warm and comfortable.
Check-in is between 1400-1800, if you are arriving after 1800 please advise us, so we can ensure you are advised of access codes, room key location, and room location.
You will meet the tutor at dinner, and you will have your first session after dinner.
Before You Attend
What to Bring
A perfect opportunity to bring along your favourite materials to use outdoors. The suggested list below is just a guide, if you wish to bring along other materials please do. It is not necessary to purchase every item, bearing in-mind the time spent in one location and carrying your materials.
- A4 Sketchbook/Pad with Cartiridge Paper for dry sketching with pencil, ink and charcoal.
- A5 and A3 Sketchbooks with heavy weight (300gms) Watercolour Paper, for water-soluble pencils, inks and watercolour paints.
Pencils and pens
- A set of pencils to include B, 2B, 4B and 6B.
- Pencil eraser.
- A set of water-soluble coloured pencils.
- Pencil sharpener or craft knife.
- Fibre tipped drawing pens, to include fine and medium widths, black or sepia with waterproof inks.
- A travel or sketchers field set of watercolour painters with 6 to 12 colours. This usually comes with its own mixing palette and water container, if not you will need to bring these along separately.
- A small selection of round watercolour brushes, Number 3, 6 and 10. If you wish to bring along more sizes please do.
- Appropriate outdoor clothing and comfortable shoes, sun hat, portable seat with cushion, kitchen roll, bulldog clips, water container, mixing palette and rucksack to carry your materials.
About Flatford Mill
We have four buildings that are used for visitor accommodation. Whilst most rooms are either en-suite or have a dedicated bathroom, there are some rooms in The Mill that share showers and toilets at the end of the hall. If this is unsuitable for you please make the office staff aware upon booking or as soon as possible.
Please be aware that you are visiting a Field Centre that caters in the main for school parties; the accommodation is basic and dormitory style, but warm and comfortable.
Opportunities to attend this course
This course is not currently available to book. Dates will follow soon.
Sign up to our Email Newsletter