We welcome school pupils/students who wish to undertake work experience placements with us. These are organised locally, so please contact your local FSC Centre if you would like to enquire about the possibility of a placement with them.
“If you’re looking for a year in industry as part of your degree, and you are passionate about education and the environment then look no further!”
Each summer we’re joined by a number of Higher Education Student Placements for their year in industry. Being a student on our Higher Education Placement program brings endless opportunities and rich experiences in our inspiring locations across the UK!
What does a Higher Education placement involve?
The focus of your time with us may vary depending on which location you’re based at, but no matter which centre you’re placed in, you will be able to gain the valuable experience of living and working within a residential field centre setting.
All Higher Education Student Placements have the chance to work with a range of varied education groups – some centres work with very young children, some centres have mainly secondary school groups, and others have university and adult courses.
All of our learning locations are based within beautiful surroundings close to nature as this is the essence of what we do!
What you’ll need.
To be a Higher Education (HE) Student Placement with us you must be undertaking a UK-based higher education course where a work placement is a requirement. We’re looking for candidates studying towards a degree in Geography, Biology, Ecology, Environmental Science, Education or a closely allied discipline. The placement is to primarily support our teaching staff in the delivery of field courses along with a range of other residential and domestic duties – so we need you to really want to get stuck in and have a want to work with people who are enthusiastic about the environment; you’ll be eager to see that people are taught to understand and respect it more.
Where are the placements likely to be available?
Explore our centres further…
- Field Studies Council Blencathra, Nr Keswick, Cumbria
- Field Studies Council Castle Head – Grange-Over-Sands, Cumbria
- Field Studies Council Epping Forest – High Beach, Loughton, Essex
- Field Studies Council Juniper Hall – Dorking, Surrey
- Field Studies Council Millport – Isle of Cumbrae, Scotland
- Field Studies Council Nettlecombe Court – Taunton, Somerset
- Field Studies Council Preston Montford – Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Other centres may be available. View further details about all of our learning locations here.
What’s in it for you?
Developing and investing in our Higher Education Student Placements is a key priority for us and during the placement year there are numerous opportunities for personal development. Training offered with us is transferable to a multitude of future jobs, for example:
- Work experience that reflects an environmental educational charity.
- An opportunity to develop workplace skills and a respected referee for future job applications.
- Working knowledge of systems and processes relevant to education.
- Experience of working with people of all ages in the outdoors.
- The opportunity to develop identification skills and contribute to survey work.
- Opportunity to attend relevant training courses e.g. Health and Safety, risk assessment, first aid and water safety training.
- An overview and practical experience of working in the customer service sector.
- Build and develop your own skills such as personal confidence and improving communication skills, supported by mentoring as needed.
At the outset of your year with us, you will agree what you are expected to achieve, remembering to consider what you need to complete for your degree whilst ensuring your skills and interests are fully utilised in conjunction with the Higher Education Student Placement expectations and the needs of the location you’re placed.
You get out what you put in, so make sure you grab every opportunity open to you during your year!
The placement is for a maximum of 12 months for students who are undertaking a UK-based Higher Education course where a placement is a requirement.
- £20,378 per annum + Benefits.
- Accommodation available (on a chargeable basis).
- 37.5 hours per week.
Location of post: Higher Education Student Placements are placed according to business needs at one of locations participating in the HE Student Placement programme. We always endeavour to place candidates at a location suited to the requirements of the degree course students are working towards but unfortunately we can’t guarantee where a candidate will be based. The location would not normally be confirmed until the appointment stage.
Additional Placement Benefits: these include access to the Field Studies Council’s Employee Assistance Programme and Health Cash Plan with Westfield Health* (*exclusions apply).
Start Date: July/August
If you have any question’s please contact Kayleigh Hunter on [email protected]