Students will develop a case study of one major UK city. Within a day, we can only visit a small part of the city, giving an overview of the scale and structure of a major city. Students will investigate ways of life and contemporary challenges that affect urban change including deprivation, housing, transport, infrastructure and development. Pre course activities will be recommended in order to consider the location, including connectivity and importance of the city.
This course usually runs from 9.30am – 3.30pm, but times can be adjusted to suit your group and travel plans. During your visit you will be welcome to the centre and given an appropriate health and safety briefing. Your session will start with an introduction to the day, aims and objectives. Throughout the day we will undertake fieldwork, collecting data appropriate to the topic. We will break for lunch, before continuing with our fieldwork. Depending on the day and the specific times of your visit we may include some data presentation and analysis and we will end the day with a summary including drawing conclusions and limitations. Please note that specific activities for your group are subject to change. We go out in all weathers and seasons and will tailor the content of the day accordingly.
How this course fulfills the specification
- Edexcel A Component 2 Human Environment, Topic 4 Changing cities, 4.3 A major UK city.
- Edexcel B Topic 3 Urbanising World, 3.3 cities change over time, Topic 5 Evolving Human Landscape, case study: Dynamic cities.
- AQA 3.2 Human Environments, 3.2.1 Urban Issues and challenges, Section B Fieldwork.
- OCR A 1.2 People of the UK, 1.2.6 case study.
- OCR B 2c People and society, Topic 5 Urban futures, 2.5 challenges and opportunities.
- Eduquas A Theme 2 Rural:Urban links, 2.3 Urban issues, 2.3.2 urbanisation, 2.3.3 global cities.
- Eduqas B Component 1 investigating geographical issues, Theme 1 changing places, 1.1 Urbanisation 1.1.2 ways of life.
Added value of this course
- Develop personal skills
- Have fun
- Be inspired by a passion for the subject
- Build friendships