This intermediate course will introduce you to the roots of nature writing. Creative writers are taken through a series of exciting workshops where they take inspiration from the analysis of a variety of sources and hone their craft.
Become a better writer by becoming a better reader as you take inspiration from the analysis of literary pieces throughout history on this creative writing in nature course.
During this course, you will begin to take inspiration from nature, Japanese literature, nature journals and other famous pieces of literature. You will then create your own pieces and share them with other learners whilst offering support and feedback for each other. This course is brimming with activities and is equally suitable for budding naturalists and people who enjoy writing and reading.
This is a 4-week online course covering 4 topics. Each topic is begun with an interactive Zoom workshop after which you will complete a variety of self-led online resources and activities using the skills and techniques covered. Time commitment is approximately 4 -5 hours a week and an E-certificate is provided upon completion. Understand how our online courses are dlivered
What is covered in this course?
- The Roots of Nature Writing
- Philosophical Nature Writing
- Political/Polemical Nature Writing
- Literary Nature Writing
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Consider the purpose of nature writing and analyse the effect of concision and language
- Explore a range of different ideas and philosophical beliefs regarding the role of nature and our connection with it
- Evaluate the importance of, and the relationship between, structure, imagery and mood
- Investigate the precision with which a piece of literary writing is constructed
- Share this knowledge with friends, family, and fellow volunteers.
Tutor: Woody River
Woody River is the Director of Secret Landscapes, which offers guided walks on the themes of botany, foraging and literary heritage. With a BA (Hons) and MA in Literature and Creative Writing, Woody is also a qualified teacher who designs and teaches literature and botany courses for adults, as well as providing private tuition for international secondary school students. She has a particular interest in wildflowers and ferns, and loves observing different species of primate in their natural habitats.
Sorry this course booking is closed