Estuaries painting in the studio and on location at some of the beautiful and inspiring harbours and rivers in Suffolk. John will demonstrate oil painting techniques, colour mixing, composition, and will give you lots of one to one help each day. Depending on the weather we may visit Woodbridge, Pin Mill, River Deben, River Orwell, and River Stour or potential visits to Wrabness or Shotley.
Some work might be completed in the studio and there will be lots of reference photos available if needed.
Please note: This course is non-residential only.
Tutor: John ShaveJohn Shave is a very experienced Marine and Landscape painter and has been a tutor for 30 years. He is a member of the prestigious Wapping Group of Artists, The East Anglian Group of Marine Artists and in 2016 won The SAA Professional Artist of the Year Competition
Before You Attend
What to Bring
- Please bring along any of the paints etc that you would normally use. If unsure this list is just for reference and not compulsory.
Artist quality Titanium white
Artist or student quality
Cobalt blue, cerulean blue, lemon yellow, cad yellow light, yellow Ochre/ raw Sienna, Alizarin Crimson/ Magenta, cad orange, Burnt Sienna.
Other useful colours. Cobalt violet, yellow green (Daler- Rowney), Raw Umber, cad red,
- Painting medium. I make my own with Linseed Stand oil and natural turpentine in the proportion of 5%stand oil and 95% turpentine.
You could also use liquin, zest it, Robertson’s studio safe medium or low odour solvent.
- A selection of brushes, long flat 4, 6, 8 10 12. Filbert same sizes. I Rigger or two. I quite often use varnish brushes 1 inch and 1 1/2 inch. To paint with.
- Canvases or canvas boards. Loxley or Windsor and Newton are best not cheap ones from the pound shop. Sizes 8 x 6 in, 8x 10 in, 14 x 10, 16 x 12 in.
- Easel to paint outside ( can be hired from Flatford mill)
- Drawing paper or pads and a few pencils, 4,6,8 b
- Paper towel or rags.
- Possibly an apron or older type clothes that don’t mind getting a little paint on them.
- Most important, bring along a happy carefree fun attitude so we all have lots of fun.
Note: There is a shop at the centre where a limited selection of materials can be purchased and a well equipped art shop at Dedham and Woodbridge.
Sorry this course has ended