This course is suitable for all abilities since there will be time for everyone to practice the skills they need to design and create a leaded stained glass panel. Glass and other materials are provided but please expect to reimburse the tutor for the amounts you use.
Tutor: Carole GrayCarole Gray is a designer maker, specialising in decorative and contemporary architectural stained glass. She mainly works to commission, producing windows, doors and other pieces for private and commercial clients.
Full board accommodation and picnic lunch are for resident bookings only.
Before You Attend
What to Bring
- An apron or coverall - you should not have open shoes or bare legs.
- Rubber gloves (such as washing up gloves).
- A paper face mask (optional).
- Beginners: Please bring card and/or other packing materials to take your panel home safely.
- Improvers: You will need to bring a board to make your panel on and transport it home. The board should be chipboard or plywood (not MDF), about 12mm thick and about 5cm longer and wider than your finished panel. Please do not bring a board which is too much bigger than your intended panel as space in the workroom is limited. You will also need a length of 12mm square section wood (sold as beading in DIY stores) to go along two of the edges.
Health and Safety
- You must not wear open shoes or have bare legs (even if the weather is warm).
- Do not wear loose clothing or dangly jewellery as it may get caught in machinery. Long hair must be tied back.
- Please note that you will not be able to work in the studio unless supervised by the tutor.
- The studio will not be accessible during the lunch and dinner breaks, or after teaching finishes in the evening at around 2100 hrs.
If you are pregnant or breast feeding you should consult your GP before enrolling on this course as working with solder (lead/tin) can be harmful to the developing baby.
About Flatford Mill
We have four buildings that are used for visitor accommodation. Whilst most rooms are either en-suite or have a dedicated bathroom, there are some rooms in The Mill that share showers and toilets at the end of the hall. If this is un-suitable for you please make the office staff aware upon booking or as soon as possible. Please be aware that you are visiting a Field Centre that caters in the main for school parties; the accommodation is basic and dormitory style, but warm and comfortable.