Unique opportunity for 16–25 year olds to apply for a 90% subsidised, Darwin-inspired scholarship, combining environmental education and ongoing support. 

Applications close June 27th 2021

FSC has a charitable mission to engage and connect everyone with the outdoors and will cover 90% of the cost of the scholarship. This has been partially funded by generous donors who strongly believe in its benefits for supporting young people. Scholars will pay the remaining 10% (Only £45-£90! location dependent) 

What is included in the scholarship?

The scholarship starts with a heavily subsidised 5 day residential trip, or series of days, at an FSC location which involves a lot of time outdoors in environmentally engaging locations. During the week or series of days you will: 

After the residential trip/day series you will be supported in several ways, which are exclusive to Young Darwin Scholars: 

  • Dedicated FSC staff member to advise and assist with your chosen environmental pathways 
  • Access to our wide range of Eco-Skills courses at a heavily discounted rate. There are close to 200 courses covering 30+ subjects that run online and at locations across the country. 
  • Opportunities to meet and connect with other scholars at events throughout the year, such as practical conservation days  
  • Series of online webinars covering career and academic advice, current environmental topics and projects, and wider environmental themes. 
A Young Darwin Scholar looking in the grass
Practise a range of field and identification skills

We have been successfully running this programme since 2012  and have awarded scholarships to 120 young people. This year, we are ambitiously expanding to award another 75 places to young people from across the UK.  

The FSC Youth Council and other environmental organisations have had significant input on the content of the scholarship to ensure what is being offered is relevant to the young people of today.  


Locations and dates:

Aged 16-17 Residential

5 days Residential

£90 cost to Scholar

Apply Now

Aged 18-25 Residential

5 days Residential

£90 cost to Scholar

Apply Now

Aged 18-25 London Day Series

London Day Series

£45 cost to Scholar

15 places in total

One application form is for all four London locations. Full attendance would be expected to get the best experience:

Apply Now

Useful information

The residential cost includes food and accommodation.

Travel expenses can be claimed back for those that need it.

The content between the residential and day series is similar, with the main difference being no overnight experience.


Application Process 
The application process is an easy-to-use online form which includes three main questions:

  • Tell us about your interests in the natural world, what has inspired this interest?
    Think about the places you visit, what do you enjoy about them, do you have a favourite plant, animal or fungus, are there any topics you are passionate about?
  • What do you do to help connect with the outdoors, and why?
    You can talk about any clubs, charities, or societies you have joined or volunteer for, any relevant subjects that you study, any books you read or documentaries you watch, your favourite place to sit outside or explore – you may attach any relevant links to content you have created to help with your application
  • Why should you be awarded a Young Darwin Scholarship?
    What do you hope to gain and learn, how could the scholarship help you, what are your environmental goals and interests? e.g. do you have any personal, academic, or career goals that you are aiming for? 

Scholars will be chosen based on their answers in the application. All answers will be assessed against scoring criteria and the FSC Youth Council will be part of the selection process. There is no follow up interview process. 

Applications must be submitted by June 27th 2021. Successful applicants will be contacted by July 9th 2021 and will have a week to accept the scholarship.  

To keep up to date with all opportunities for young people (16-25) in FSC, make sure to sign up to our Youth Mailing List. This is highly recommenced as the mailing list gets first access to FSC offers, discounts and opportunities. 

‘’Something clicked. Maybe it was Bio Blitzing in and around the centre, digging for earthworms or sweep netting the long grass. I was in awe of the identification skills of the tutors, their knowledge of the local area and their understanding of the impact each organism had on the ecosystem as a whole.’’ – Olivia C, YD Scholar 2013 

  • Young Darwin Scholars looking at insects
  • group of young people outdoors

If you have any questions regarding your application or the scholarship please email:
[email protected]