Travelling to Blencathra
You need to arrange your own transport to the centre, we can suggest using First Travel.
- First Travel is working in partnership with the Field Studies Council to help reduce the cost of travelling to any FSC Centre, using their coach and rail network.
First Travel Solutions is part of the First Group of companies, the UK’s largest surface passenger transport company carrying 2.7 million passengers each day.
For a quotation ring : 0844 854 2560 or email www.firsttravelsolutions.com
When calling for a quotation please identify your enquiry as an FSC referral in order to receive preferential rates.
Alternatively please contact the centre if you would like contact details of local coach operators.
- Arriving by train, we can provide a pick up from Penrith Station for £16 per student.
- The FSC provides blanket insurance policy for School Transport which is automatically provided to all eligible FSC course participants at no extra cost.
Arriving at the centre:
- Please let us know your expected arrival time before you come
- If using a sat-nav our postcode is CA12 4SG
- If you get delayed and will be late please call the centre to let us know (017687 79601)
- Please avoid arriving or departing between 8:30- 9:00 and 15:00 and 15:30 so not to clash with the village school.
- All single decker coaches can get up to the centre and turn around.
- If coming by train the closest station is Penrith. There are regular fast direct trains to London Euston (3hrs 5mins). Group discounts are available from Virgin Trains.
- We can pick you from the train station for a charge of £16 per student return.
Traveling to field sites
- We would encourage you to use your own school minibuses during the course if you have them.
- Please let us know if there is room for your tutor(s) in your minibuses
- You may arrange your own coach transport for your course.
- We can accommodate coach drivers at the centre for an additional fee.
- Please be aware that not all our fieldwork sites are accessible by coach, however there is normally an alternative site available.
- We can recommend local coach companies; Titteringtons (017684 83228) and K&B Travel (01768 868600). We use both companies and they know the centre.
- We can also use the centre’s minibuses during your course
- We charge £8 per student per day’s travel, inclusive of all site(s) you visit on that day.
- Your tutor may ask if you’re able to drive during the course. If you are able to help drive, there is a £2 reduction in price for students travelling in vehicles driven by visiting staff. We have both 9 seater vehicles that can be driven on a normal car licence and 17 seater minibuses which require a D1 minibus entitlement on your licence.