1780 | The original Georgian house was built by John ‘Ironmad’ Wilkinson as a country retreat. The original house was three stories high plus cellars and tower and is complete with its back section (including stairs) where the servants worked. The grounds adjacent to the house were landscaped and a ‘secret garden’ built on the hill.
Early 1860’s | The property had been taken over by businessman Edward Mucklow. He added a veranda around the house (you can still see the occasional EM within the structure of the veranda). He also added what is known as the Mucklow room which is used as a multi function room, drying rooms and carried out extensive work on the interior of the Wilkinson House, including the tiled hallway and the ornate plasterwork.
1909-1978 | The property belonged to the Holy Ghost Fathers Catholic Trust and became a seminary from which many of the priestly output became missionaries in Africa. In later years it became a catholic boy’s residential school and it is from this era that the teaching and accommodation facilities were added.
1929 | The Sebastipol block (now renamed Hillfoot) was built
1960’s | The classroom, gym block, dinning room and ‘chapel’ was built.
1979 | With the perfect combination of geographical position, local scenery, character, boarding and educational facilities for setting up a field centre. This was recognised by five people looking to do just that. The property was purchased and Castle Head Field Centre Ltd was born - the venture was a success.
1997 | It was decided by the Directors to become a charitable organisation or to merge with an existing charity. On the 25th July 1997 Castle Head became part of the Field Studies Council.