Join us for this Bright Autumn: Landscape in Ink and Coloured pencil workshop. Helen takes the rich colours of autumn foliage as a start for exploring her unique combination of ink and coloured pencil.
Unlike pen and wash, her method is not water-based, nor does it involve “colouring in”. Instead, the two media are integrated as you work, bringing the landscape to life with layers of rich colour, mark-making in ink and the use of easy to learn creative techniques like embossing and lifting out. This is slow art on a small scale, but the process is therapeutic and rewarding, with plenty of scope for creativity and individuality.
About the Tutor
Helen Hanson was for many years a Fellow of the Society of Botanical Artists, a winner of the President’s Award and a former Council Member of the Society of Women Artists. She was a successful printmaker, exhibiting her landscape etchings in galleries and exhibitions throughout Britain. Always inspired by the natural world, she now concentrates on ink and coloured pencil landscape and botanical coloured pencil works, and enjoys tutoring adults locally and at residential venues in the UK. She is the author of Landscape in Ink and Coloured Pencil for Crowood Press, and is currently working on her second book.
Full board accommodation and picnic lunch are for resident bookings only.
Before You Attend
What to Bring
- Artist quality coloured pencils (preferably non-watercolour, although these can be used dry) - Faber Castell Polychromos, Derwent Artist or Procolour, Caran D’Ache Pablo or similar.
- A4 Bristol board (Strathmore Series 300 smooth is recommended). This will be available for purchase from the tutor by the sheet.
- An HB pencil and ruler
- A good pencil sharpener with a very sharp blade (Möbius & Ruppert round brass sharpener is highly recommended)
- A grey putty rubber
- Waterproof Indian ink pens - Faber Castell Pitt artist pens (SX, S, F, M) or Staedtler pigment liner pens (0.5, 0.3, 0.1 and ultra fine 0.05)
- A sketch pad or cartridge paper for preliminary drawings
- Feel free to bring your own autumn landscape photos, images or sketches, or to work from the Flatford environment. If you need inspiration the tutor will bring some seasonal images. Please keep to landscape with trees and plants rather than buildings, people, boats etc.
Opportunities to attend this course
Wed 25, October 2023 19:00 - Fri 27, October 2023 16:00