Explore the world of Experimental and Abstract Watercolour. This experimental, non-figurative watercolour course is designed to free the painter from any preconceived ideas.
Such as acceptability, success and failure, and just go with the flow of colour, feeling, and emotion. Using numerous watercolour techniques, mediums, and approaches, we will quite simply have fun with paint!
About the Tutor
Jeremy studied Graphic Design at Southport College of Art, (1972-5) and Illustration at Harrow College of Art, London (1975-8) A professional artist and Illustrator since then, working on a wide variety of books, magazines, and greeting cards. Instructional watercolour, pastel, and gouache art books published by Search Press. Work commissioned by The Royal Horticultural Society, Bradford Exchange Limited Edition Plates, Central TV, and American Express Travel Guides amongst many others. DVDs on painting in watercolour, pastel, and gouache and has contributed to numerous art books.
In regular demand as a teacher and demonstrator and has a Certificate in Education (Post 16.) Demonstrates painting at many popular art events, working in all paint media. Demonstrated for St. Cuthbert’s Paper Mill, (makers of Bockingford and Saunders Waterford watercolour papers) previously Senior Tutor and Principal UK Demonstrator for the Michael Wilcox School of Colour. Professional Associate and Former President of the S.A.A.
Explore our range of watercolour courses hosted by our engaging tutors and learn from their expertise and skills. Our art courses are a chance to meet like-minded people and to unwind from everyday life. They are a great opportunity to experience the UK’s glorious countryside surrounding our field centres.
Check-in is between 1600-1800, if you are arriving after 1800 please advise us, so we can ensure you are advised of access codes, room key location, and room location.
You will meet the tutor at Dinner, and you will have your first session after Dinner.
Full board accommodation and picnic lunch is available for resident bookings only.
Refreshments are included for all, but non-resident bookings are advised to bring lunch with you.
Before You Attend
What to Bring
I don't insist that people use the same colours as me so please bring the colours you are familiar with. If you are considering buying artists quality colours then I recommend the following tubes or pans:
- Ultramarine, (sometimes called French Ultramarine)
- Phthalocyanine Blue (sometimes abbreviated to Phthalo Blue. N.B. Winsor & Newton call it Winsor Blue Green Shade, or Intense Blue. Daler-Rowney call it Phthalo Blue (Green Shade) Prussian Blue is similar and will do.
- Cerulean Blue, Cadmium Red Light or Cadmium Red Pale, or Vermillion. Cadmium Red, which is slightly darker will do. Permanent Rose, (Quinacridone Violet is the same, as is Quinacridone Rose) Alizarin Crimson will do but like Rose Madder and Carmine, is darker and duller.
- Cadmium Yellow or Cadmium Yellow Light, or Cadmium Yellow Pale.
- Hansa Yellow Light, or Winsor Yellow, or Winsor Lemon, or Lemon Yellow. Burnt Sienna. Burnt Umber or Sepia. (Not essential but useful)
- Quinacridone Gold and/or Raw Sienna and/or Yellow Ochre. Phthalocyanine Green (sometimes abbreviated to Phthalo Green. Winsor & Newton call it Winsor Green Blue Shade. Viridian or Emerald Green will do.
- Any White gouache.
- Watercolour sketchbook, Cartridge sketchbook; whatever size you like working. I work mostly on A3, A4 and slightly smaller. Bulldog clips, elastic bands or Masking tape to hold corners down.
- An assortment of brushes, -suggest 1, 3, 6, 8, 10, -bigger if required. Perhaps a small rigger or linerwriter. (I have brushes and paper for sale if necessary).
About Flatford Mill
We have four buildings that are used for visitor accommodation. Whilst most rooms are either en-suite or have a dedicated bathroom, there are some rooms in The Mill that share showers and toilets at the end of the hall. If this is unsuitable for you please make the office staff aware upon booking or as soon as possible. Please be aware that you are visiting a Field Centre that caters in the main for school parties; the accommodation is basic and dormitory style, but warm and comfortable.
Opportunities to attend this course
Fri 23, August 2024 19:00 - Sun 25, August 2024 16:00