If you’re interested in finding out more about wasps but don’t feel ready for a beginner’s ID workshop, then this is the course for you. Learn To Love Wasps is a very gentle introduction to this group of insects, introducing aspects of their biology, ecology and behaviour.
This course combines the use of classroom-led learning and outside learning opportunities led by one of our wasp tutors to give individuals the skills and confidence to learn more about the lives and ecological roles of wasps.
- Certificate upon course completion.
- Please email [email protected] if you have any questions.
- Please note that this course is NOT a species identification course and will only go as far as categorising wasps into broad ecological categories.
This course is aimed at adults only and course attendees must be at least 18 years old in order to attend.
What will be covered during this course?
- Recognising wasps from other similar looking invertebrates and discussing their place in the animal kingdom.
- An introduction to wasp biology, including their anatomy and morphology.
- An overview of the species diversity of wasps in the UK
- The ecological roles of different groups of wasps.
- How to go about finding wasps in different habitats.
See the ‘Example Timetable’, ‘What’s Included’ and ‘Before You Attend’ sections below for more information about this course.
Regular Price: £75 For professionals and residents outside of the UK. Select ‘Attendee: In Person’ Sold Out
Subsidised Price: £10 Subsidised by the FSC BioLinks project for non-professionals eg. volunteers, biological recorders, wildlife gardeners, amateur naturalists and students.Available to UK residents only. Select ‘Attendee Subsidised: In Person’
Tutor: Mike Edwards
Mike is a Fellow of the Royal Entomological Society and founding member of
the Bees Wasps and Ants Recording Society. He works as a specialist in entomological survey and habitat management advice, concentrating on the aculeate Hymenoptera, Diptera & Orthoptera.
In order to keep our customers and staff safe we ask that anyone attending our centres:
- wears a face covering when in shared indoor space (unless exempt).
- maintains social distancing.
- cleans their hands regularly.
- takes a Covid-19 test before they arrive.
- Please arrive in time for the course to start promptly at 10:00 am.
- Refreshments will be available from 9.45 am.
- The course will end at 4:00 pm.
- 6 hours of tuition
- Certificate of attendance
- Any excursions will be on foot
Bursaries and Subsidies
FSC BioLinks is an exciting project for FSC in the South East and West Midlands, bringing together existing volunteers with skills in biological recording and identification, and new volunteers.
This project provides subsidised training courses, learning opportunities and digital tools focussed on invertebrate identification for anyone involved or interested in biological recording, to build and strengthen the community.
Invertebrates provide us with many useful ecosystem services, like pollination and decomposition, which we cannot survive without but their numbers are declining. Few people know how to identify or record invertebrates meaning there is a lack of data
We are delighted to have been awarded a grant of £1.23 million from the National Lottery Heritage Fund for this project.
Before You Attend
Getting to FSC London: Bushy Park
Information on getting to the site can be found here.
When you arrive at The Stockyard gate you may need to call the centre to open the gate. You can reach the staff on site on 020 8941 4398.
Due to the outside nature of part of this course, participants are advised to bring suitable clothing and footwear in order to access the Bushy Park site in various weather conditions.
What to bring
- Notebook and pencil
- Hand lens (if you have one)
Due to the outside nature of part of this course, participants are advised to bring suitable clothing and footwear in order to access the site in various weather conditions.
There will be a member of staff with first aid training and access to a first aid kit on site. If you have special medical requirements please let us know as soon as possible so we can plan the course.